Dr. Qingjun Xiao is an assistant professor at the school of computer science and engineering in Southeast University of China. He received his PhD degree on 2011 from the computing department of Hong Kong Polytechnic University, under the supervision of Prof. Bin Xiao and Prof. Jiannong Cao (IEEE fellow). Afterwards, he joined the computer science department of Georgia State University as a postdoctoral researcher, where he worked with Prof. Wenzhan Song from Feb. 2012 to Mar. 2013. Then, he went to computer science department at University of Florida as a postdoctoral researcher, where he worked with Prof. Shigang Chen (IEEE fellow) from April 2013 to May 2014. He joined Southeast University of China on 2014.
M.Sc. Opportunity: In general, we are looking for good master candidates in the areas of network security, big network data, resource-constrained analysis of data streams, and wireless powered systems. Please send me your CV and publication list if you have interest to join our team.
- 2016-11-26: My paper named "Better with fewer bits: Improving the performance of cardinality estimation of data streams" is accepted by INFOCOM'17.
- 2016-09-08: A coauthored book titled "Traffic measurement for big network data" has been accepted for publication on Springer [url].
- 2016-07-08: I was invited to visit the University of Göttingen, and give a talk "Hyper-compact stream cardinality estimators for big network data".
- 2016-06-06: My paper "Collision-aware churn estimation in large-scale dynamic RFID systems" is accepted by ACM/IEEE Trans. on Networking.
- 2016-04-02: My paper "Joint property estimation for multiple RFID tag sets using snapshots of variable lengths" is accepted by ACM MOBIHOC'16.
- 2015-08-27: Our stream processing algorithm, proposed in SIGMETRICS'15 paper, has been adopted by developers from Xamarin.com to support their mobile phone application monitoring system. The open-source library can be downloaded at https://github.com/seiflotfy/vhll
- 2015-08-20: A startup grant for young scientists is received from National Natural Science Foundation of China.
- 2015-06-15: A startup grant for young scientists is received from Jiangsu Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China.
- 2015-06-10: Dr. Xiao has been invited as the short-term Research Associate in Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- 2015-03-09: My paper "Temporally or spatially dispersed joint RFID estimation using snapshots of variable lengths" is accepted by MOBIHOC'15.
- 2015-02-09: My paper "Hyper-compact virtual estimators for big network data based on register sharing" is accepted by ACM SIGMETRICS'15.
- 2014-07-01: My paper "Estimating persistent spreads in high-speed networks" is accepted by IEEE ICNP'14.
- Resource-constrained and real-time recognition of traffic pattern in high-speed communication networks
- Novel applications and cross-layer protocol design in wireless powered embedded systems
- Interesting applications in wireless sensor networks, e.g., sensor localization, robot navigation, and human gesture recognition, to list a few
- Disruption-tolerant unicast/broadcast/multicast protocols in wireless mesh networks
- Design and model checking of business workflows in service-oriented architecture
Academic Projects Involved
- 2015-2017： Real-time Processing of Network Streaming Data in Temporal and Spatial Domains by Sketch Encoding and Mining
Southeast University of China, PI: Dr. Qingjun Xiao, funded by National Science Foundation of China (61502098) and National Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province (BK20150629), Total Amount: ￥250,000 + ￥200,000.
- 2013-2014: Making Online Network Functions Fast and Compact
University of Florida, PI: Prof. Shigang Chen, funded by US NSF (NeTS 1115548), Amount: $ 400,000.
- 2013-2014: Dare You Put Your Data in Cloud?
University of Florida, PI: Prof. Shigang Chen, funded by Cisco Systems Inc., Amount: $ 101,716.
- 2012-2013: VolcanoSRI: 4D Volcano Tomography in a Large-Scale Sensor Network
Georgia State University, PI: Prof. Wenzhan Song, funded by USA NSF-CDI-1125165, Amount: $ 1,833,608.
- 2007-2010: Wireless Sensor Network Localization and Robot Navigation
Hong Kong Polytechnic University, PI: Prof. Bin Xiao, funded by HongKong RGC PolyU.
Technical Program Committee Member
IEEE CloudCom 2015: TPC Member
- IEEE ICNP 2014: TPC member of concise papers
- IEEE MSN 2012:
- Conferences: ICNP'14, ICDCS'12, INFOCOM'11&12&13&16&17, MASS'12, WCNC'12, ICPADS'10, ICC'13
- Journals: IEEE/ACM TON, IEEE TC, TOSN, TMC, TPDS, TVT,TWC, TNSM, TAAS, JSAC, JPDC, IJIS, COMNET, IEEE Communication Letters
"In my experience, most stuff that you start is mediocre for a really long time before it actually gets good. And you can't tell if it's going to be good until you're really late in the process. So the only thing you can do is have faith that if you do enough stuff, something will turn out great and really surprise you."
--- Ira Glass:
The Wrong Stuff